Having your Banns Read

Publication or Reading the Banns of Marriage (also known as ‘the banns’ from the Old English word meaning, ‘to summon’) are a public announcement in a parish church that a marriage is going to take place between two people.

The purpose of banns is to enable anyone to raise any legal impediment to the marriage, so as to prevent marriages that are legally invalid either under canon (church) law or under civil law.

If you plan to marry in church, the Banns will need to be read for both of you. If you live within this parish we can do this for you. Please remember that reading the Banns will also need to take place if either of you is a regular worshipper in another church.

You are entitled to get married in a parish other than your local parish church if it is the church you and your fiance usually attend, and you are listed on the church’s electoral roll.

You can do this if you plan ahead. To become enlisted on the electoral roll in another parish, at least one of you must regularly worship at that church. You will need to do this for a minimum period of six months. It is also a requirement that the candidate is a baptised member of the Church of England.

N.B The church electoral roll is different to the local register of electors.

So, if you wish to get married in a church which is not your own, then contact the minister of that church well in advance of the date on which you wish to be married and he will be able to advise you.

If you are getting married somewhere else, and want to know whether Holy Trinity is your parish church, check the list of all roads and addresses in our parish. If you live in Holy Trinity parish and need your Banns read here, please phone Fr. Patrick on 020 8340 2051 three months before your wedding date to arrange this. There is a statutory fee of £43 (2018) for calling of Banns and a Banns Certificate.